Rum fruit cake
Rum fruit cake recipe in the cake category
- 1 cup candied cherries, chopped
- 1 cup slivered citron
- 1 1/2 cup currants
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups figs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried prunes, cooked, drained and chopped
- 2 cups dark seedless raisins
- 2 cups dark rum
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, sieved
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups slivered blanched almonds, toasted
- Soak fruits in rum for 3 days.
- Cream butter. Add sugar, then cream again.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients. Blend well.
- Drain fruits. Add nuts.
- Pour batter over fruits and nuts. Mix.
- Pour into two prepared 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours.
- Cool in pans on racks.
- Wrap in aluminum foil.
- Age 1 month before using.
Tags: rum, fruit, recipe, cake, recipes, cooking