Sure-Jell plum jelly
Sure-Jell plum jelly recipe in the canning category
- 5 1/2 cups prepared plum juice, made from about 5 pounds fully ripe plums and 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 box Sure-Jell Fruit Pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine, optional
- Boil jars on rack in large pot filled with water 10 minutes.
- Place flat lids in saucepan with water.
- Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Let jars and lids stand in hot water until ready to fill.
- Drain well before filling.
- Pit plums. Do not peel. Finely chop or grind fruit.
- Place in saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place 3 layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl.
- Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth.
- Tie cheesecloth closed, hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops.
- Press gently to keep juice clear.
- Measure 5 1/2 cups into 6 or 8 quart saucepot.
- Measure sugar into separate bowl, scrape excess sugar from cup with spatula to level for exact measure.
- Stir fruit pectin into juice in saucepot.
- Add butter. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Quickly stir in all sugar. Bring to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
- Wipe jar rims and threads.
- Cover with two piece lids.
- Screw bands tightly.
- Invert jars 5 minutes, then turn upright.
- After jars are cool, check seals.
Tags: Sure-Jell, plum, jelly, recipe, canning, recipes, cooking