Zucchini boats with tabbouleh filling
Zucchini boats with tabbouleh filling recipe in the zucchini category
- 1/2 cup bulgur, cracked wheat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3 zucchini, about 1/2 pound each, scrubbed, trimmed, and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint leaves plus mint sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, seeded, peeled cucumber
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped fine
- In a bowl combine the bulgur with the salt.
- Pour enough boiling water over the bulgur to cover it by 1 inch.
- Let the bulgur soak for 1 hour.
- Drain the bulgur and squeeze it dry in a kitchen towel.
- In a bowl stir together the bulgur, the lemon juice, the oil and the garlic.
- Let the bulgur marinate, covered and chilled, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- With a melon ball cutter scoop out the zucchini flesh, reserving it for another use and leaving 1/4 inch shells.
- On a steamer rack set over boiling water steam the zucchini shells, cut sides up and covered partially, in batches for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are just tender.
- Transfer the shells, cut sides down, to paper towels to drain and let them cool.
- Stir the minced mint, the parsley, the cucumber, the scallion, the tomato, and salt and pepper to taste into the bulgur mixture.
- Divide the tabbouleh among the zucchini shells.
- Garnish the zucchini boats with the mint sprigs.
Tags: boats, tabbouleh, filling, recipe, zucchini, recipes, cooking